• 2019-2020 Group of Experts of the Media Pluralism Monitor (MPM2020) European University Institute.
• Invited panelist on “Der Auftrag: Bildung” at the ORF Dialogforum, Vienna, November 13, 2017.
• European Commission for Democracy through Law (Venice Commission): 13th European Conference of Electoral Management Bodies. Working Session: Monitoring media and social media during pre-electoral periods. Bucharest, April 14-15, 2016.
• Rapporteur at the Council of Europe Conference “Freedom of expression: Still a precondition for democracy?”, Strasbourg, October 13-14, 2015.
• 2015 Expert panellist on the topic of hate speech discussing “Hate Speech – Can we control it? Should we try?“ at the EBU organised NEWS Xchange annual conference, Berlin, October 28-30.
• 24/02/2014-01/07/2014, Member of the panel of experts established to evaluate the pilot testing of the social indicators of the Media Pluralism Monitor in Greece, conducted by the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy, in the frame of the EU-funded project 'Update and pilot test implementation of the Media Pluralism Monitor', hosted by the Centre for Media Pluralism and Freedom, European University Institute, Florence, Italy, Grant decision No. 30-CE-0586359 between the European Commission and the European University Institute
• 14/09/2010-31/07/2015, Member of the interdisciplinary team of academics and researchers established to provide independent expertise to the European Parliament in the field of audiovisual policy, and hosted by the Hellenic Foundation for European and Foreign Policy, Athens, Greece; Project funded by the European Parliament, Directorate-General for Internal Policies, Directorate B, Structural and Cohesion Policies, Framework contract IP/B/CULT/FWC/2010-001/lot3/C1
• 2014 Expert speaker on ‘Quality assurance and social investment in public service media’ at the UNI MEI World Public Service Broadcasting Conference: Global Values – Quality Services. Vienna, October 1.
• 2014 Expert speaker on the “Constitutional Reform on Freedom of Information in Austria” at the International Conference on ‘Free Access on Information – Right of Free Access to Information vs. Protection of Information’, Czech Ministry of Interior, Prague, November 27.
• 2014 Invited panellist on ‘Zwischen Datenschutz und Informationsfreiheit – Wie politisch ist das Private im digitalen Zeitalter?‘ (panel discussion on privacy and freedom of information in the digital age), Vienna, May 15.
• Invited panelist on “Public-Service-Medien zwischen Überleben, Veränderung und Neustart” (ORF DialogForum). ORF-RadioKulturhaus, Vienna, April 23, 2014.
• Invited expert on the “Shutdown of the Greek public broadcaster ERT” at the European Parliament. Brussels, April 8, 2014.
• Invited expert on “Findings of the Council of Europe conference on Media and the Image of Women” at the Chancellery of the Prime Minister of Poland (event: ‘Image of women and men in advertisements’). Warsaw, April 7, 2014.
• Invited panelist on “Why Greece matters – Meinungsfreiheit, Medienqualität und der europäische Horizont” (ORF DialogForum). Department of Communication, University of Vienna. Vienna, January 30, 2014.
• Invited expert and General Rapporteur presenting conference conclusions at the Gender Equality Conference, Theme: ‘Media and the Image of Women’, with the participation of the Council of Europe Network of National Focal Points on Gender Equality, July 2013.
• Council of Europe Rapporteur on Media and the Image of Women 2013
• Council of Europe Parliamentary Assembly written evidence on Privacy and Social Media 2011
• Council of Europe Expert Internet Governance Forum Vilnius September 2010: Keynote speech on gender, internet regulation and production/consumption
• Expert Internet and new media Policy for Association for Progressive Communications EroTICs project on sexual citizenship Barcelona June 22-25, 2010
• Oral evidence on Interindustrial links between mainstream media and pornographic production to Dr Papadopoulos Review on sexualisation of young people; UK Home Office, Violent Crime Unit 2009
• Written Evidence on the definition of Sexualisation and links to the communications industry, Papadopoulos Review UK Home Office, Violent Crime Unit 2009
• European Parliament report on Digital Rights Management in the Music Industry 2009, UK Expert. Coordinator ELIAMEP Read the final Study Report
(in German) http://www.europarl.europa.eu
(in English) http://www.europarl.europa.eu
• Evidence European Parliament Public Hearing on Culture and Europe of Regions, the role of culture and the culture economy in regional cohesion 2008
• Peterborough City Council steering group Pride in Peterborough cultural economy programme, 2007-2010
• Gender and the World Summit Information Society, on Digital Communications, infrastructures and access, International Women’s Tribune New York May 2005
• UNESCO consultation meeting on ‘UNESCO’s future communications research agenda and the WSIS’, University of Leicester, Centre for Mass Communication Research 2001
• Public Communications and Information Consultant – Ayr Action for Mental Health Charity, Scotland, UK 1997-2001
Univ.-Prof. Dr. Katharine Sarikakis
Institut für Publizistik- und
University of Vienna
Währinger Straße 29
© Vienna, 2022 katharineSarikakis.ac.at Website built by MT